Your tongue reveals a lot about your health. No wonder every doctor’s appointment start with tongue examination. Even Chinese medicine agrees that the tongue can point to all diseases affecting a person. That’s why it’s recommended to consult an otorhinolaryngologist in case you notice changes in your tongue’s appearance.
- Cracks on a red tongue surface – these points to a fungal infection in the body, and is often accompanied by night sweats, sleeplessness and irritability.
- Red tongue with thick yellow layers in the middle – these points to an elevated body temperature, which may be the result of urinary tract infection or skin problems. People with this symptom are also often nervous because they feel uncomfortable in their body.
- A thin yellow layer in the middle surrounded by the red surface of the tongue – such tongue appearance indicates digestive issues, dehydration as well as skin diseases. Also, people with these symptoms on their tongue suffer from frequent mood swings.
- A thin white layer, apparent tooth marks and several red dots – these are the symptoms that point to a lack of energy in the body. This in turn leads to fatigue, poor appetite and excessive sweating. Lack of energy also affects a person’s mood and increases their anxiety.
- Mass white layer with swollen edges of the tongue – this symptom is linked to improper function of the digestive system and susceptibility to water retention. People with this symptom often feel tired and lethargic.
- Black spots on purple surface – these points to a compromised circulatory system function, so people with this symptom can suffer from varicose veins, feeling of heaviness in their legs, headache, chest pain and dull skin.
- A thin white layer accompanied by a red tongue tip – this symptom indicates excessive exposure to stress resulting from an unstable emotional state. Also, the body energy is accumulated in the nodes causing inflammation.
- A thick white layer in the middle of a pale swollen tongue – this appearance indicates an infection or inflammation linked to an autoimmune disease, or vitamin and mineral deficiencies. This condition causes a pale complexion, spinal pain and a feeling of panic.
- A pale tongue without deposits – this symptom suggests reduced blood flow in the body, and possibly anemia, which in turn leads to dizziness and exhaustion. People with this symptom often lack focus and memory. In women, such tongue can indicate a possible hormonal imbalance.