Moringa oleifera is a plant which grows in South Asia and is a part of the traditional medicine.
It is familiar by the name “drumstick” and is a mighty bioactive plant that contains antioxidants. The scientific community confirmed the health benefits of this plant, but it has to be studied and discovered still.
It is a rich source of many minerals and vitamins. The leaves are packed with more nutrients than the pods. A cup of fresh pods provide 15% of the RDA of vitamin C, 19% of the daily allowance of vitamin B6, 9% of vitamin A, 11% of vitamin B2 (riboflavin), 8% of magnesium, 11% of iron, and 2 g of proteins. The leaves are available as dietary supplements in the West, but the best thing would be to grow the plant at your home and enjoy its natural benefits.
You should consume its leaves and the fruit for these reasons:
- Stronger bones – the plant will help you improve your bone density as it is high in calcium and iron that prevent bone density loss and strengthen the bones. It is great to give to growing children for stronger and better bone growth. It will also boost physical stamina.
- Anti-cancer properties – the fruit is high in antioxidants which fight free radicals and prevent the formation of cancer. It contains chlorogenic acid and quercetin, powerful antioxidants which act by negating free radical activity in the body. The anti-cancer properties help in preventing the development of tumors and growth of cancerous cells.
- Relieve headaches – the root of this plant can help in relieving headaches. You should extract the juice from the roots and mix it with jaggery in equal amounts for immediate relief.
- Treating eye issues – the plant can help in eye issues, including conjunctivitis. Just take some leaves, grind them, and apply the paste on the eyes. You can mix its juice with some honey and apply it as an eyeliner to cure corneal disorders or eye swelling.
- Lower blood pressure – you can keep your blood pressure under control with this plant. It is a natural remedy for managing diabetes, too. If the blood sugar levels are uncontrollable for a longer period of time, the risk of many types of health conditions, including heart disease can be increased. Lots of studies showed that the plant provides positive benefits for lowering the blood sugar levels, and most of the studies have been conducted on animals, but some have been done on humans. One study involved 30 women who were given 7 g of leaf powder on daily basis for a period of 3 months. This resulted in reduced blood sugar levels by 13.5%.
- Purify the blood – the drumstick pods and its leaves are great in purifying the blood. You can make a soup that is great in fighting acne and other skin issues. The juice can be applied on acne or pimples and help the areas heal faster due to its antibiotic properties.
- Anti–aging properties – the plant is high in vitamin A which helps in inhibiting the natural process of aging and also strengthens the immune system and improves vision.