Irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, and Chron’s disease are all inflammatory bowel diseases indicating a motility problem of the entire GI tract, which is a hypersensitive, inflamed, and irritated system with poor absorption, digestion, and elimination. All these could result in various deficiencies, a higher risk of leaky gut and a wide variety of other similar health issues.
So, in terms of digestive health, a system that functions well is of vital importance for your overall health and well-being. The human body requires essential nutrients to perform its main functions, but without the proper support the body cannot function adequately and cannot keep you healthy.
Here are some of the most frequently experienced symptoms and health problems:
– Being more prone to illness; having symptoms of cold and flu that may be a sign of a improper immune system functioning
– Recurrent electrolyte disorders and anemia
– Arthritis symptoms, pain and inflammation
– Weight gain, difficulty keeping a healthy weight and difficulty losing weight
– Depression symptoms; low mood, interest loss in certain enjoyable activities
– Candida symptoms: undesirable gut bacteria overgrowth; recurring fungal or yeast infections, tiredness, mood swings, and irritability
Effective Methods to Help in Treating IBD:
Avoid these foods, which can potentially trigger further inflammation and irritation:
- Virgin Coconut Oil: anti-viral, anti-fungal, and helps in reducing Candida overgrowth
- Chia Seed: anti-inflammatory essential fats
- Brassica Family Foods: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale
- Flax Seed: anti-inflammatory essential fats
- Chicory Root: possesses pro-biotic, which helps in supporting healthy gut flora and improving digestion
- Turmeric: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-microbial
- Ginger: anti-inflammatory
- Rosemary: anti-parasitic
- Oregano: anti-microbial
- Cinnamon: boosts weak digestion
- Thyme: anti-microbial
- Pumpkin Seeds: anti-inflammatory (They are also rich in zinc that can help the process of repair and regeneration)
- Onion: anti-microbial and anti-parasitic
- Green Leafy Vegetables: contain vital nutrients and proteins that help in leaky gut repair
- Garlic: anti-microbial and anti-parasitic
How to Naturally Enhance Absorption, Digestion, and Elimination
1. Enhancing Digestion
- Eat and chew the food slowly and thoroughly to help in digestive enzyme activation
- Have 3 main meals and 2 healthy snacks on a daily basis
- Have a meal only when your are really hungry and just eat to the feeling of fullness
- Have a largest meal in the middle of the day
- Do not eat anything after 9:00pm
- Avoid arguing, watching TV, or reading while eating, but eat in peace and relaxation
- Do not consume liquids while eating since they can dilute the stomach acids
- Do not eat when you are upset, anxious and angry
- Take digestive enzyme and pro-biotic supplements
2. Enhancing Absorption
Even though the methods mentioned above can help in supporting IBD, enhancing digestion and promoting better absorption, but proper food combination is also of great importance.
- Avoid sugars and limit your fruit consumption to 3 servings daily as a result of their high natural amount of sugars
- Do not mix fats or proteins with starch
- Do not include more proteins in the same meal
- Mix vegetables and protein in the same meal
- Mix vegetables and starches in the same meal
- Mix fats and protein in the same meal
Proteins: Seeds, milk, butter, eggs, nuts, fish, meats, poultry, almond butter, peanut butter, and cheese.
Starches: Beans, bread, grains, lentils, potatoes, pasta, rice, cookies, pastries, flour, and root veggies.
Vegetables: All vegetables, except root vegetables
Sugars and fruits: All fruits, maple syrup, honey, or other sweeteners.
Fats: Olive oil, butter, oil-based salad dressings, and so on.
3. Enhancing Elimination
About 70% of the immune system is actually located around the digestive system and therefore it should be kept in optimal function. The colon works optimally when it is full of fiber and water, so it is advisable consume about 25-30 grams of fiber and at least 8 glasses of purified drinking water on a daily basis.
You can help in enhancing elimination by implementing these strategies:
- Increase your intake of fish and flax oil
- Exercise on a regular basis in order to elevate peristalsis, i.e., the food movement through the digestive tract.