Nowadays, people try to eat healthy and avoid meat and eggs turning on tofu as a healthier variant. But, we are not sure that this is a smart move for improving your health habits as the processed soy that includes tofu is far from a healthy variant because western food processors separate the soybean into two golden commodities – protein and oil, which is nothing safe and natural about it.
The high-tech processing methods fail to remove the anti-nutrients and toxins that are present in the soybeans leaving toxins and carcinogenic residues that are created by high temperatures, high pressure, alkali, acid baths, and petroleum solvents. The processed soy variants in fact contain phytates which block mineral absorption and trypsin inhibitors which in turn block proper digestion, while the worst option would be the fractionated products like soy protein isolate and hydrolyzed plant protein. Moreover, tofu is a product from soy which doesn’t possess the harmful properties, but it still remains to be a product which has the same anti-nutrients.
Soy may cause health issues
High soy diet is connected to many health conditions and problems like: brain damage; reproductive disorders; development problems in babies, children, adolescents, and premature puberty; thyroid problems that include fatigue, hair loss, malaise, weight gain, lethargy, and loss of libido; soy allergies; cancer.
Studies on the subject
The team of Dr. Daniel found out some interesting discoveries during their studies. They noticed that soy doesn’t lower the cholesterol, but increases the homocysteine levels in people which is linked to increased risk of stroke, heart disease, and birth defects. Her team and other experts sent a petition on 65 pages to the FDA to ask them to retract the health claim that soy actually prevents heart disease.
A Lancet study proves that daily exposure to estrogen-imitating chemicals for infants who consume soy formulas was 6-11 times higher than adults who consume soy foods. The hormone concentration in the blood was 13,000 to 22,000 higher than estrogen in the blood, so infants fed exclusively with soy formula receive the estrogenic equivalent of more than 5 birth control pills a day based on body weight. It is advisable for pregnant women to avoid these soy products in order to ensure the safety of their unborn child.
- Above 80% of the soybeans are genetically modified containing the highest levels of pesticide contamination of all foods.
- Soy contains goitrogens that is connected to depressed thyroid function.
- They also contain hemagglutinins that clump together the red blood cells. They also have substances connected to growth-depressants that are not being fully eliminated by processing.
- The soybeans are high in phytates that prevent mineral absorption that are co-factors for optimal biochemistry in the body, and these include zinc, iron, magnesium, and calcium.
- They are full with toxins and anti-nutrients containing great amounts of inhibitors which deter the enzymes needed for protein digestion. The enzymes are not completely disabled during ordinary cooking often causing gastric distress and chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake. This can further cause dangerous pancreatic impairments and cancer.
There is a healthy way to enjoy soy
There are couple of healthy soy types and all of them being fermented resulting from a long fermentation process after the phytic acid and anti-nutrient levels reduce making available their beneficial properties like the creation of natural probiotics becoming available to the digestive system. This process provides a reduction of the dangerous isoflavones levels that are similar to estrogen in their chemical structure interfering with the action of your own estrogen production. These are the healthy soy products:
- Tempeh – this is a fermented soybean cake with a mushroom-like flavor;
- Miso – fermented soybean paste having a salty and buttery texture;
- Soy sauce – made of fermented soybeans, salt and enzymes;
- Natto – it can be found in any Asian store and it is the highest source of vitamin K2 and has a very powerful beneficial bacteria named bacillus subtilis. It has a sticky texture with a strong cheese-like flavor. Moreover it is loaded in nattokinase which is a very powerful blood thinner.
The studies show that all soy products like soy burgers, soy cheese, soy milk, soy energy bars, soy ice cream, and soy protein powders are very harmful for our health, so we all need to avoid them in order to prevent our health from its damaging effects. The best thing is to buy all the products by yourselves and prepare them for yourselves. Or check online for all the products before buying them for all the ‘aliases’ which may hinder under the ingredient lists.